· Portal  Help      Search      Members      Calendar

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Alep 2008. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Favorite Memories, Post something that made you smile
Rhyselle
  Posted: Sep 29 2008, 06:40 PM

Shire Scholar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

One of my favorite memories will always be Arwen "persuading" Strider to join in the dancing at the party.... *grin* Of course it looked more like dragging him into the dancing circle.

And it made a plot bunny bite me, so there may be a ficlet come out of it soon. *giggle* :aakiss:

Another thing I NEVER will forget is riding on the haywagon along that LOOOONNNNG road edged by dry stone walls, and seeing Bag End in the dell, with the tents and lights and pennants, looking just like the movie--and very similar to the mental image I held in my head all those years before I ever saw a piece of LOTR artwork.

How about the rest of you?

Rhyselle
:hobbit computer:
Lewie
Posted: Sep 29 2008, 07:12 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 49

I have to say, the charge of the Rangers into the haunted house to rescue the fair maiden at the end of the Ghost Walk isn't leaving my mind anytime soon.
Rhyselle
Posted: Sep 29 2008, 07:43 PM

Shire Scholar

QUOTE (Lewie @ Sep 29 2008, 07:12 PM)
I have to say, the charge of the Rangers into the haunted house to rescue the fair maiden at the end of the Ghost Walk isn't leaving my mind anytime soon.

Oh, yes! *giggle* Too bad no one caught that on video!

:frodo: :sam: :pippin: :merry:
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 29 2008, 09:47 PM

Just Maggie...the Future Crazy Old Cat Hobbit!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Having the sh*t scared out of me in the haunted Registration house (it was only Hero's Song upstairs, waiting for some friends, but I didn't realize anyone was up there)

Discussing Michael Cook's nethers

Sam and Pippin (Steven and David)

Me scaring the cr#p out of poor Bilbo and hearing him shriek :picture:

Listening to Tom Bombadil sing

Getting kissed by a goat

Meeting the MAC Ladies

Galandriel :galadriel:

Sitting in front of Bag End after the Party, looking at the stars while Marc Gunn sang.

The friendliness of everyone; volunteers working with a song and a smile the entire time.

All those stars! :bilbo smoke:

Dancing with "my" Sam at the Party. :rosiesam:

Earning a new nickname: The Hug (W)hore (Posted Image)
Arwen1890
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 12:04 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 118

--Sitting back and watching the party Saturday night

--Running out, kicking my shoes off, and dancing with all those splendid hobbits!

--Listening to Health to the Company and crying as I realized just how much I needed this in my life, and how much I loved every person there

--sitting around the door at Bag End till the wee hours, listening to music and refusing to let time slip away toward the time of the fake world...

--meeting Jo in person after so long of getting to know each other online

--watching Dad totally rock at the Council of Elrond play

--the skits with JP and Tim, and their great improv

and so many more that I can't even begin to name--thank you all for a wonderful weekend!

melianndoriath
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 01:21 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 20

Getting lost in the Old Forest and not finding any treasure! :chest:

Petting alpachas

Watching the charge of the Rangers to save our beloved Kelli from ghostly misadventure. SV spook

Hearing an LOTR ringtone.

Drinking in the beauty of the night sky while listening to Kate Brown's beautiful voice.

Hearing middle english spoken, with joy.

Laughing at wonderful hobbity and wizardly improv. :lol:

Making new friends :)

Meeting some friends face to face for the first time :grouphug:

Having very interesting stories to tell my friends back home. : ALEP :

Meli
lanthiriel
  Posted: Sep 30 2008, 01:23 AM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 154

Dear Friends,
Well I miss all of you and the Shire already. :( I wanted to add my 1cent worth (if you know who I am, you'll get that).

Three things I LOVED about ALEP:
1. THE PEOPLE: Everyone was so friendly and ready for a good time. I saw strangers helping strangers as if there was no such thing as a stranger (and here, for the weekend, there wasn't!). We sat with different people every day and made new friends hourly. LOTR fans are the best and most intelligent fans anywhere!! How fun it was to gather together and share stories, ideas, experiences and whatever else happened to come up. Such an accepting group of people. Even the visitors to Shaker Village who did not know what to think of us were kind. THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!

2. THE SETTING: Shaker Village is the Shire. Such a peaceful, natural place to gather. I hope the amount of walking wasn't a deterrent to anyone else; I loved it. Everything was set up in such a way as to feel welcoming and comfortable. And the weather cooperated fully.

3. THE HOSTS: There cannot be enough thanks to Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo, Rosie and all our other hosts and helpers who made this party work. You guys did an AWESOME job organizing this thing. I was so impressed. Once we had arrived, we didn't have to think to hard about anything except LOTR. You procurred fantastic guests who seemed to have as much fun as we did. A big shout out to the employees of Shaker Village as well who were very accomodating and friendly. It was fun to watch the food staff taking pictures of us. I would dearly love to make this a yearly event. Please organizers, let us know what you need by way of help for the next one. There MUST be a next one.

Three things I didn't love about ALEP:
1. It was way too short.

2. I must have gained 10 pounds from all that delicious food.

3. Did I mention it was too short?

Gotta go friends. I am suffereing mightily from LOTR withdrawal and must immerse myself into a good book for recovery. Can't wait to see all of you again!

Sindarinelvish
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 01:50 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 54

What a wonderful adventure! We MUST do it again! SOON! Tomorrow!!!!

The organizers did a great job and I'm not sure there is a better setting. We all noted how safe we felt surrounded by the countryside of Shaker Village and our LOTR brethern.

Sindy :aragorn:
nautika
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 04:18 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 100

QUOTE (Rhyselle @ Sep 29 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Lewie @ Sep 29 2008, 07:12 PM)

Oh, yes! *giggle* Too bad no one caught that on video!

:frodo: :sam: :pippin: :merry:

I'd certainly pay good money for it!! Very impressive to watch those Rangers flying down the hill with cloaks flowing out behind them.
:aragorn: :aragorn: :aragorn: :aragorn: :aragorn:
Arwen1890
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 02:06 PM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 118

I'm totally up for doing it again tomorrow! :-) On a slightly more likely note, I would love to know who is local to the Lexington, KY area, because I want to have all my new LOTR family over for dinner sometime soon--my famous stir fry (ask Gandalf about that stir fry--it's yummy!)...

:bag end:
dora_took
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 03:58 PM

Dora Took

Group: Committee
Member No.: 7

Hey, did anyone get a pic of that silly Pippin running/danicng around Bard Marc while he was singing on Thursday night? About all I kept thinking was 'that boy is shredding his feet!' :rolleyes: :lol:

-Dora Took :hobbit lass: :sewing:
Melilot Fields from Deephallow
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 05:24 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 97

Or a video, for that matter! What a dancer! :pippin:
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 12:39 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 33

One of my favorite moments was meeting friends I had talked to on line for 4 years for the first time.

My first favorite memory was seeing the village and thinking it does look like the Shire.

Going to breakfast and seeing all the costumes and finally the people I have seen on the ALEP website.

Seeing the happiness on each face at Bilbo's party,watching the line of dancers. and hearing the Bard.

Hearing Kate sing and being in awe of her lovely voice.

Gandalf and Bilbo's skits
Getting my picture taken with Bibo.

The ride on the Brandywine and the ride down to the landing.

Taking a last look and driving away with a heavy heart and wonderful memories. :village: :frodo: :pippin: :merry: :sam: :walking hobbit: :cart:
Springlering
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 01:32 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 30

Favorite moments. All of it?

Seeing old friends and making new ones.

Our room with the sinuous curved wall, and the staff at Shaker Village, who were so gracious and friendly from the minute we walked into registration.

Shaker Village itself. Going for an early morning walk and seeing weird prickly fruits on a tree, and geese flying south. Shuffling through crackling leaves. Talking to the long haired bull and baa'ing at the goats. Reacquainting myself with wagons.

All of the sessions I attended. Without exception, most excellent.

Meals. Music. Humor.

The wonderful, wonderful set dressing that Bilbo did. I didn't realize the signs were foam til I touched one. Holy Hobbit!!!

Bag End, the party tree, the lanterns, the music, the dancers, the tent, getting to help set up.

Getting to be silly and serious with people who.....understand.

:P
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 02:14 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Member No.: 11

psst, SpringleRing:

Gandalf made the signs.. not to shortchange Mr. Bilbo, or anything.
MithLuin
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 03:02 AM

Old Took

Member No.: 61

I have to agree....all of it is a special memory!

Some highlights....

Meeting my roommates. Seeing the stars on Thursday night. Every single time during the weekend when I realized I was hanging out with a bunch of fellow geeks (LotR ringtone :lol:). Feeling old and young. All the great conversations.

Meeting again some folks that I had not seen since the Gathering in Toronto, and rediscovering how absolutely cool they are :). Meeting brand new people whom I did not know before, but now feel like I've known for ages. The skits, the improv, Elrond's repeated "Yes...." The "Ring of Hope" song. Michael Drout's excerpts from Beowulf, starting out the way Tolkein read it to his classes.

Running into the MAC Guild on Friday night, and going out for ice cream with them on Saturday. Walking in the woods dressed as an elf - I do not think I have been so energetic on a trail in years. Being offered lembas on the course of said walk. Finding out that you really can eat it and run at the same time. Laughing at Marc for so enthusiastically suggesting walking back to the village after the boatride only to fade fast in the hot sun going uphill. Meeting the very unhappy sheep.

Wearing 4 different costumes over the course of 2 1/2 days. 'Nuff said. Seeing everyone else's *awesome* costumes. Having people recognize the costume I was wearing as the same one I'd been feverishly sewing the applique onto that afternoon.

Not wanting the party to end Sat. night. Dancing with hobbits. Making an utter fool of myself while attempting to dance the reel with Pippin. Telling myself I'd go to the party in the Green Dragon for only half an hour because I had to get up and drive the next day...yeah, right. Meeting Michael Cook. Having him invite me back to his room to take off his armor. Later witnessing his love affair with the floor.

Seeing everyone at breakfast all weekend. The mist that greeted us on Sunday morning. Trying to say goodbye on Sunday :( Explaining my lack of verbal expression to Andrew by saying "I'm not particularly loquacious in the mornings." Getting the Bards to sign a CD before running off.

Hugging Gandalf. :gandalfgrey:

But that only scratches the surface. I haven't mentioned seeing the Party field for the first time or the rangers fighting off the black rider. Or Kate's singing. Or watching strangers become friends. Or really the whole. entire. weekend.
Saelind
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 03:52 AM

Lady Healer of Ithilien

Member No.: 29

A wonderful weekend to be sure. It was great to walk around in costume all the time! Though I think perhaps I should have left my coat at home on the hike! :lol:

Such a nice mixture of people and events. The "glitches" were minimal and easily covered over. It was nice to talk to Professor Drout again and hear him proclaim in Ango-saxon. The skits in the Hall of Fire were quite funny. Bilbo's party was wonderful with all the food and silliness that ensued after the alcohol started flowing. Micheal Cook is truely an artist and master craftsman. I look forward to the day when I can wear one of his creations.

I have to brag a bit on our smial. One of our members won the trivia contest, another tied for first in the archery contest and 3 of our members won mathoms.

Just being around other Tolkien lovers was a joy. You are all truely special people.

Forestchild
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 01:05 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 62

There are so many things I will remember.

Meeting in person those I knew only as screen name and an avatar.

Arriving at Shaker Village and feeling a sense of coming home.

Meeting Pippin (my brother), and getting a family picture with Pearl, Pimpernel (me), Pervinca, and Pippin Took. I have a copy posted by my computer at work.

Arriving at the barn on Thursday as a hobbit and seeing other hobbits, elves, and other beings of Middle Earth, and feeling as though we belonged.

Seeing Gandalf stride by Registration off on Party business.

Seeing Bag End for the first time.

Michael Cook's summarization of the "pretty dead elves". Got to watch out for that armor.

Meeting Dora and having a mini Took reunion.

Getting to be an elf of Rivendale and listening to Elrond's continuous "yes" responses.

Listening to ghost stories in the dark under a tree, adn straining to see a light in the upstairs room.

Oh, there is so much. I have fond memories to last for ages. And I am eager to see all of you again someday.

-Forestchild-
:tree: :hobbit lass:
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 01:17 PM

I never realized that Michael Cook was SO funny. After talking about his nethers, he mentioned that every time an Elf poops in the woods, flowers sprout up from it! :rolleyes:

:legolas shoot:
nautika
Posted: Oct 2 2008, 11:59 PM

Shire Wizard

The skits, the laughs, the music, the lasagna and the chess pie! The programs and bookmark and bag (and the badge I lost!).

Meeting people I'd only spoken with online and thinking in the future I'll be able to 'hear' them when they post. Starting to take my plate to the trash Thursday night only to have "Pippin" grab it and say he'd been looking forward to doing that all day!

Lady A's cell phone ringing with a very appropriate tune and the announcement that it was alright not to silence your phone if you had that ring tone. :D

Watching the rangers rush to Mae's rescue when she screamed only to find it was
?because she'd run out of wine?

Bag end, Gandalf's trivia, The Fellowship of the Ring, how hard it was to leave.

Sniff!
nautika

whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Oct 3 2008, 12:32 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

I could add a whole sheet to this list. I know I will repeat some of what has been said, but here we go, in no particular order:

Being part of 'it'. Getting to be 'behind the scenes'. Scouting out Gandalf's treasure sites. Helping to hide them, and the clues. Seeing Bag End come to life under the Tree. Watching David(Pippin) climb the trees at the Party Site.

Meeting Kate Brown, finally. And all the other message board people, even though my pain keeps me from remembering many of you now, just a short time after.

The Moth. The ad-libbing when lines were forgotten. (You have forgotten your lines, haven't you?). The laughter the little ideas brought forth. The Lantern Circle - even better than a BondFire, if you ask me. The Fellowship. The friendship. Hearing Olde English by Michael Drout, Poetry from Constance Wagner, Michael Cook's very well-thought up speech about Heroism in today's world (( more impressive considering he only had a few minutes to think about it )).

The Fog on Sunday morning. David and Stephen getting the Orc Helmets from Mr. Frodo. Seeing the look on Matt's face when Michael gave him his bow, arrows, quiver and bedroll. And the look on Alexandra's face when she got her scabbard. The look on Matt's face when the Strider figure was presented to him. The look on JP's when we gave him Gandalf the Grey. JP's embarrassment at being called up on stage for Dora to give him the bejewelled Dragon.

Me, JP and Daniel going into Fellowship just after it began, just in time for JP to intone, "So am I, dear boy" in line with Gandalf when he comes back to the Shire.

The Ghost Walk. Seeing the stars alight in the dark Kentucky sky.

I could go on and on and on.
DaisyBaggins
Posted: Oct 3 2008, 02:18 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 134

I witnessed the funniest conversation while waiting for the shuttle bus, after the Brandywine cruise. A bride-to-be was on the phone with her fiance, trying to convince him that Aragorn was not the part for him. Her maid-of-honor stood nearby prompting her, to help her be more convincing.

I couldn't help asking what was up when she hung up, and the bride-to-be (I'll let her say who she is, if she likes) explained that she had just convinced her fiance that an LOTR-themed wedding would be super at the Shaker Village.

I thought that was great and asked her why he couldn't be Aragorn. She and maid-of-honor both told me, "He doesn't quite fit the part." When I asked what part he *would* fit, they answered unequivocally, "Gimli!" I laughed and said, "But you do know in the films he's there for comic relief, right?" Maid of honor's reply, "Precisely!"

After further discussion, bride calls fiance back and says, "Imagine being able to carry a double-bladed axe up the aisle! Wouldn't that be cool?!" Maid of honor prompts, "Very manly!"
AnnaEstel
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 12:09 AM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 57

How about Agape's elfling granddaughter sitting on Krista's lap at the harp? How much more precious can you get?
DovoSandybanks
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 12:36 AM

Peregrin "Pippin" Took

Member No.: 140

There is a terribly large amount of amazing memories that I will have forever from this weekend.
Here are some of my few...

-Arriving at Shakertown and thinking aloud to my bud Sam, "Look that's Gandalf!" and "STEPHEN!! It's Lady Eowyn! She's awesome!" and "Look! It's Rossie!". The simple fact that main characters that I had invisioned from the books will always be all of you from now on.

-Talking with Gandalf for the first time

-Helping with whatever Sam and I could help with

-Dancing around Marc and finally noticed he kept on playing the same thing to wear me out and then thinking at the end of the dance "WOW My feet hurt!"

-Chatting with Andrew and Michelle in the Green Dragon

-All the panels and workshops

-Bilbo's adventurous walk along the rock face and sharing some amazing Lembas with newly made friends

-Meeting everyone that I could and became very close to everyone

-Being deemed Pippin

-Getting Dragged on stage by Bilbo by the ear ;)

-Seeing Bag End for the first time

-The whole Hall Of Fire night time (Kate's singing, The Skits, Elrond's "yessss")

-Living in the Shire for four days

I have got to say that this weekend is the most memorable and most amazing weekend I have ever had and I want to thank you all for making it what is was.

herossong
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 01:30 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 132

Like everyone else has said, I could write a book about all those wonderful moments, but if I had to pick a favorite, I think it was when we were invited to dance after the meal and a bunch of us just got up and danced with abandon for the sheer joy of it - not full of the self-conscious thoughts that usually spoil such moments. We were a big happy family under the lights of the party tree and it was truly MAGICAL!! :bilbo smoke:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 04:27 AM

Wandering Wizard

Member No.: 2

~Seeing Pippin (David) dance and wondering if I ever had that kind of energy.

~Listening with Roh and Arwen to a strange sound in the woods from the event barn (it turned out to be an Owl).

~Seeing people taking their picture with the Green Dragon sign was quite nice. I've always thought that place looked like a pub or tavern.

~Having a fill of pipe-weed with an old friend under the stunning night sky in front of Bag End. What more could one ask for?

~Seeing everyone enjoy themselves.

:G rune:
Lewie
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 12:25 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (herossong @ Oct 3 2008, 08:30 PM)
a bunch of us just got up and danced with abandon for the sheer joy of it - not full of the self-conscious thoughts that usually spoil such moments.

I completely agree with that one. Normally, it takes nothing short of a steel cable attached to a tow truck to get me on the dance floor, but for some reason, I had no problem at the Party.
ffiddleleaf
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 01:19 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 157

To all the Shirefolk:
Fern Fiddleleaf's pictures are posted here.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/magtdavis/ALEP of Fern/?albumview=grid

Bilbo
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 01:19 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

WOW! One "gross" of hobbits now means something altogether different.

Gross - (n) The best group of folks that could be gathered together in one place.

For me, favorite memories are everything you all have mentioned thus far. But then there are many things and times that none of you saw...

-The many late nights that Gandalf and I worked at my place, designing and redesigning Bagend itself, all the signs we fussed with.

-Even the sunburn back I got while building the stages... we do suffer for our arts and friends.

-Meeting two of the best workers I've ever worked with during ANY production I've EVER been a part of.... Stephen and David.. THANK YOU GUYS! And many thanks to Paige (Stephen's mom).

-After my speach, sitting with Gandalf in front of Bagend and watching from afar all the merry making under the party tree. "WOW, they are having the time of their lives" and so did we.

-The hike: another adlib. Though I've hiked there before SV ever marked such "trails" I've never been there with a better group. Everyone was totally for marching on. Even when Marc Gunn got off the boat and said, "Are WE hiking back to the village??" Off we went with not one "I rather ride". What troupers.

- Our guests: have to be the best ever invited to any event. Many thanks for just being there and being one of us. Come back and visit anytime. *Michael Drout: bring your daughter to SV sometime and let me know. I'll set up Bagend in the back yard and I'm sure Bilbo and Gandalf will be there for her own private picture taking.

-The Bards, whether you come back as a group or solos, you are always welcome here, as you all are welcome anytime.

-At the party, I went off to change into my party outfit, which Judy Mitchell made just for this event, I pulled my car off down the hill so it would not show. As I was walking (up hill all the way) back, I could hear in the distance, the music and merry making... The hills my be alive with music, but so are the pages. wow

-Reading all the amazing thoughts you all are posts here about our event. I never thought we could touch so many in such a way.... you are now touching me so profoundly. OH! Hey! Watch where you're touching!!

More later.

Yours always,
Bilbo

I'm so insecure, tell me again that we did ok.. ;-)
MithLuin
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 02:30 PM

Old Took

:feedback:
I'm sorry, my dear Bilbo, but I cannot tell you that you did okay. Okay is for students who turn in work that more or less matches the assignment I gave them.

When they ABSOLUTELY BLOW ME AWAY by doing much more than I ever dreamed of....I do not say, "you did okay."

I say, instead, how floored I am and how amazing they are :P.

So, Bilbo... you rock. You are amazing. And we really cannot thank you enough for organizing a 'party of special magnificance' and really giving us 'the time of our lives.'

Why is there no hugging Bilbo icon? :green_door: :calendar:

And yes, the walk in the woods was great! I've gone for plenty of walks and hikes, but I'm not sure I've ever had so much energy as I did when dressed as a woodelf and surrounded by people who got Ithilien and Lothlorien references. You could have suggested walking....walking....walking, and I would have gone along with it. I blame the lembas :lembas: So thank you again for sharing one of your local haunts with us outsiders (I cannot say strangers, because after this past weekend, we are hardly that!)
Rhyselle
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 03:28 PM

Shire Scholar

Okay? Merely Okay? My dear, dear Bilbo, there are no superlatives in Roget's Thesaurus that do justice to describing how you and the rest of the folk who brought us ALEP did. :)

I will be traveling to a weeklong business conference next week, and my off-duty reading material is the Trilogy. Thanks to you, I have tactile memories to apply to the opening chapters of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING--and more importantly, I have 144 friends whom I got to know in ways that those who weren't at ALEP will never understand.

My only regret is that I could not stay past midafternoon on Sunday and have the gentle quiet wind down that such a wonderful event deserved.

Thank you for your vision. Thank you for your hard and dedicated work. Thank you for bringing to life the books I've loved since I was 10-years-old. Should I live to be Eleventy-One, the memories of ALEP will be ones I cherish along with the day I married and the days my children were born.

I will be bringing my 10-year-old horse-mad daughter and her siblings down to the Kentucky Horse Park in the spring. Mayhap we will be able to meet with you and the local Ring-folk at a meal during that visit. (Aiii! at the rate my Rowan is going, she will be able to play Eowyn the Shieldmaiden in another six or eight years... she went to the Ohio Renn Faire and bested all comers with boffers in the living chess game while I was at ALEP.)

Please pardon my digression.

Thank you, a hundred times, thank you!
:sam: :frodo: :pippin: :merry: :gimli: :legolas: :boromir: :aragorn: :gandalfgrey:
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 03:28 PM

Shire Wizard

Bilbo it was wonderful and I felt such peace when I drove in so I just stopped and took it all in and said to myself I can't believe this, it is The Shire and I am finally here. When I did get to my dwelling after I had registered which by the way I could not believe that it was Dora and whiteladyewoyn sitting behind the desk I was in awe well anyway at my dwelling I wanted to shout Hobbits,Rangers,Elves, Middle Earth I am here but I thought people would think I was crazy. I looked at the flight of stairs and said oh my God. A very nice ranger at the top of the stairs said hold on and said trade and he gave me his ice bucket and carried my suitcase up stairs. I said I like that trade. After thanking him he smiled and said your welcome and went and got his ice. As I climbed the stairs I thought if this is any indication of how this weekend will be then it will be awesome. Such unexpected kindness in this world but what did I expect I had entered another world Middle Earth. So,Bilbo, Gandalf,Dora,Rosie,Frodo,Whiteladyeowyn and any other organizers give yourself a pat on the back and I would give you a gold star. Thank you does not seem enough .
DovoSandybanks
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 04:37 PM

Peregrin "Pippin" Took

Member No.: 140

I must agree. This was perhaps one of the most exhilirating weekends that I have lived. Bilbo, Eowyn, Frodo, Gandalf, Dora, Rossie...You all did an amazing job. Okay just doesn't cut it, as MithLuin stated earlier.
Great job Ladies and Gentlehobbits!
I raise my cup to you all!
TolmanJr
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 11:08 PM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 102

My Lady Bramblerose, by any chance were you staying in the East Family Dwelling?
And were you and you friend climbing the back stairs at the time of the meeting?

Then this humble Ranger was most happy to have been of service.
A Ranger's duties are many, not the least of which is lending a helping hand.

I wish that I had known your name right then, having followed your journal entries leading upto ALEP, I would like to have chatted a while.

Tolman
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 02:46 AM

Shire Wizard

Yes it was me and I wish I would have known it was you as I did not get to talk to very many people from the ALEP website. But thank you again kind sir.
Miththoliel
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 02:49 AM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 38

Some of my favorite memories are:

Hearing the lady at check-in call out the name of an on-line friend and roommate (whom you have not yet met in person)

Meeting Four FOF friends for the first time

Realizing those friends are every bit what you envisioned

Climbing those back stairs to East Dwelling 2nd Floor

Checking and reading the map…getting lost

Meeting many wonderful and special people who share the same passion

Dressing up in costume for the first time other than Halloween

Hearing the animal sounds in the Shire/Shaker Village as I drove to the East Parking Lot

The Ghost Walk….meeting up a bit early and making new friends before we even began the walk

Walking up the 2nd flight of stairs alone in the dark haunted building and feeling warm air…thinking that was good since a ghost would be cold......

Going back to our room at 2:35 a.m. and telling our tale to our other roommates like schoolgirls

All the live Hobbits, Rangers, Elves and Wizzards

Listening to and meeting the Bards

The ride to Bilbo’s party…such a perfect setting

Arriving at the party and seeing it for the first time…lights in the party tree, the birthday sign, the tents and tables and everything so perfect and then seeing there was even Bag End!

Shooting a bow for the first time in 40 years and loving it!

Watching the Hobbits dance

Hearing the Hobbits’ responses during Bilbo’s speech…absolutely perfect
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 03:26 AM

Shire Wizard

Hey Mith, Are you in Wisconsin yet? If you are do you all ready have internet service? I miss you roomie. Are you rested ? I loved all the photos you sent in and why do I have an orb over my face in the picture of us all,my picture that was taken with my camera does not have that orb woo. :ghost: what do you think probably just the light huh.:), We have got to plan something to see our FOF friends but it sounds like there might be something in the works and I am not talking about the Ohio moot. Well, any way it was so good to see your post. Did you know where we stayed had 4 levels?
Bramblerose aka awelyn :hobbit lass:
Alassea
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 09:22 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 23

Greetings to everyone -

The best was living in the Shire for 4 whole days - soaking in the atmosphere, the peace and sense of "home", the buildings and the countryside, meeting up with old friends, making new friends, the guests, all the fun, and just breathing the same air as Bilbo and Gandalf and Aragorn(s) and Arwen(s) and Sam and Pippin and Dora and ... well, and all the Middle Earth folk. The crowning touch was Bilbo's "disappearance". I wonder if the little captured fairy was ever released?

Every single thing, planned and unplanned, sparkled. I'd like to live in Middle Earth always.

Later when I tried to describe the whole incredible indelible experience, I was pretty much at a loss for words. One fellow said "you look all glow-y."

I want to add my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for our hosts' long labors of love in giving all of us truly an experience to remember.

"Well done!" they cried, "oh very well done!"
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 09:55 AM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (Alassea @ Oct 5 2008, 05:22 AM)
I wonder if the little captured fairy was ever released?

Yes, actually it was. It was taken down to the forest near Hobbiton by the stream (dry though it is) and released Monday morning. I believe the Tooks live in that farthing of the Shire.

:mushroom:
Miththoliel
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 01:08 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 38

Bramblerose, my roomie....I miss you, too!! You probably know the answers after my post at FOF. But yes, I joined hubby in Wisconsin on Thursday and we got the Internet yesterday. But we will be out of town for a couple days. This elf is ready to stay put for a bit. We did not explore those upper levels, did we? I saw that orb also in the photo. There was so much to do and see at Shaker Village. How are your knees holding up after all the climbing and walking?

Alassea, I remember talking with you at the party. My other elf name is similar to yours. Maybe we can talk more when I return from this next journey.

Thanks again to all who made this possible!!
Mith
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 5 2008, 11:00 PM

Wandering Wizard

Here's a worthy post from one of our bards ~ Marc Gunn, for those who may not have read it yet:

:boromir: http://www.marcgunn.com/2008/09/well-im-ba...day-party.shtml
Meriel_Greyvale
Posted: Oct 6 2008, 02:00 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 165

My favourite memories?

- Feeling the peace of the Shire and Middle-earth fall over me like warm cloak as soon as I arrived in Shaker Village

- Being greeted by perfect strangers as though I was a long lost relative (thus making them no longer strangers but most definitely perfect)

- Seeing Gandalf leaning against a drystone wall looking thoughtful while smoking his pipe

- Being hugged by Hobbits (particularly Bilbo, Frodo, Pippin and Sam)

- Listening to stories around the Bondfire and looking out the windows of the barn to see a sky filled with more stars than I've seen since I was a little girl

- getting to ride in a wagon drawn by a pair of beautiful percherons on Friday morning just because I was in the barn when Bob needed to take a bale of hay to the craft shop and was going my way

- Meeting folk I've chatted with online for the first time and being able to give them actual hugs instead of virtual ones

- staying in the second most haunted house in the village (the Tanyard Brick Shop) and hearing footsteps crossing the floor upstairs and coming down the stairs when I was the only person in the building on Friday afternoon

- attending the panels and talking to the guests of honour

- the concern and care of everyone after I fell on Friday night during the Costume Pageant (I ended up with my entire spine whiplashed and a lot of bruising but it's already feeling much, much better and no, Gandalf, it was not your fault or anyone esle's that it happened)

- all the beautiful costumes

- the wonderful food, especially the baked apples and nice crispy bacon at breakfast every morning

- having elevenses with Sam and Pippin

- hiking the Palisades trail with Bilbo, Pippin and the other Walkers

- Pippin's lembas

- not thinking about work, the election, the wars in the mideast or Afganhistan or the like because my mind was taken up with living in the Shire and the wonderful people who were living there for the four days of the party

- feeding apples to the horses in the field

- listening to music and singing along

- chatting with Michael Cook about armour, swords, theater and a bunch of other things

- making friends with the Black Rider's Oldenburg mount

- watching the special editions of the LOTR films on Sunday and sharing in the bounty of donated foodstuffs given by those folk who had to depart early

- helping a group of treasure hunters figure out how to open a chest of jewels on Saturday

...and much more.

This event was wonderful and like everyone else, I'd love to have it be a more than one time thing.

Thank you to all the folks who made it happen, you are all great!

Meriel aka Christine Krebs

:boromir:
dora_took
Posted: Oct 6 2008, 02:42 AM

Dora Took

Meriel, I'm very glad you're ok! Thanks for keeping us updated.

I was so excited at all the gorgeous costumes at the event! And thrilled by all the folks willing to show off on stage. Whether you bought, made or had someone else make/help with it, costuming is just fun and it's all about fun!

Rhyselle
Posted: Oct 6 2008, 02:57 AM

Shire Scholar

Speaking of costumes, while I've seen pics of me in my outfits, I haven't seen any of Meriel in her costume pageant costume, although I know that at least one picture was taken of her and me together before the pageant started.

I'd sure appreciate it if anyone could point us to where we could find one.

Thanks! :)

I'll be off the forum for a few days as I'm on my way to a week long conference 500 miles away from home. Take care all!
:map:
Ashlyn
Posted: Oct 7 2008, 12:02 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 50

Rhyselle, I think this one is of your sister. I got it from Morrigan's facebook site. If it is, I just uploaded it, and a few more of you, and one more of your sister on Saturday, to the ALEP photobucket account.

(Posted Image)
Rhyselle
Posted: Oct 7 2008, 01:35 AM

Shire Scholar

Thanks!

(I traveled over 500 miles today!)
:cart:
jennyp221
Posted: Oct 7 2008, 01:38 AM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (DaisyBaggins @ Oct 3 2008, 02:18 PM)
I witnessed the funniest conversation while waiting for the shuttle bus, after the Brandywine cruise. A bride-to-be was on the phone with her fiance, trying to convince him that Aragorn was not the part for him. Her maid-of-honor stood nearby prompting her, to help her be more convincing.

I couldn't help asking what was up when she hung up, and the bride-to-be (I'll let her say who she is, if she likes) explained that she had just convinced her fiance that an LOTR-themed wedding would be super at the Shaker Village.

I thought that was great and asked her why he couldn't be Aragorn. She and maid-of-honor both told me, "He doesn't quite fit the part." When I asked what part he *would* fit, they answered unequivocally, "Gimli!" I laughed and said, "But you do know in the films he's there for comic relief, right?" Maid of honor's reply, "Precisely!"

After further discussion, bride calls fiance back and says, "Imagine being able to carry a double-bladed axe up the aisle! Wouldn't that be cool?!" Maid of honor prompts, "Very manly!"

I am the bride to be that Daisy Baggins spoke of, and I'm very happy to announce that my fiancee has agreed to a wedding there at the Shire, AND (for the time being) has agreed to be Gimili!

:rosiesam:

I have so many memories of the Shire, that picking out a favorite is so hard to do. One memory that I will never forgot is walking to breakfast on Friday morning with fellow Hobbits, and seeing two Hobbits running towards us (away from food?), only to discover that it was Pippin and Sam, who had been turned away from the dining room for not having shoes. Let to tell you all, those two Hobbits were on a mission to get their shoes as fast as possible!

Meriel_Greyvale
  Posted: Oct 7 2008, 11:46 PM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (Ashlyn @ Oct 7 2008, 12:02 AM)
Rhyselle, I think this one is of your sister. I got it from Morrigan's facebook site. If it is, I just uploaded it, and a few more of you, and one more of your sister on Saturday, to the ALEP photobucket account.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I truly appreciate it!

I visited my doctor again today and the new x-rays show that most of my vertabrae are staying where she put them last week. I can actually dance again! Hurrah! I was truly lucky in that it wasn't worse and in the kindness of everyone who helped me.

If anyone needs proof that there is good in this world they need only look at the people who attended ALEP.

Hugs! :grouphug:
Ashlyn
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 12:11 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Meriel_Greyvale @ Oct 7 2008, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Ashlyn @ Oct 7 2008, 12:02 AM)
Rhyselle, I think this one is of your sister.  I got it from Morrigan's facebook site. If it is, I just uploaded it, and a few more of you, and one more of your sister on Saturday, to the ALEP photobucket account.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I truly appreciate it!

I visited my doctor again today and the new x-rays show that most of my vertabrae are staying where she put them last week. I can actually dance again! Hurrah! I was truly lucky in that it wasn't worse and in the kindness of everyone who helped me.

If anyone needs proof that there is good in this world they need only look at the people who attended ALEP.

Hugs! :grouphug:

Glad I could be of service!

And I'm so relieved that your back is staying in place and you are feeling better. (((Meriel)))

ALEP did have a great bunch gathered together, didn't it.

Ashlyn
Studio Kensai
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 04:26 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 155

Wow, where to begin... So much happened that it's hard to put a fav to any one thing. The thing I will remember most are the people. I loved meeting so many great people and getting to know the ones I have met before.

The hard working hobbits- David and Steven, my hats off to you.

Rebecca, Donovan, Jessica, Mel, Marie, Lewie - you are all gems - thanks for such a great time.

Bonnie and Yvette - you two, always beautiful and always poised.

Lady A and Nierelraina - I cannot say how much you guys rock.

Maggie - Now you know that I don't take myself too seriously :)

Flora - Still the most adorable photgrapher ever!

Mithluin - Your students are ridiculously lucky to have you.

Mary - `hic' more Kentucky Ale?

Rhyselle and Meriel - Delighful twins, and I am glad Meriel's back is recovering well.

Alassea - I hope I got the right person by looking at your user pic, but it was great getting to talk to you without being pulled in every direction like at bigger cons.

Kelli - Awesome fun, you are :)

Matt and Alexandra - It was great getting to meet you after many months of emails. And all of you should know, the Nethers jokes aren't mine alone. They actually started with Alexandra :)

Judy - Always great to see you.

Patrick and his wife - I'm sorry I can't remember her name :( But you guys were great to have breakfast with.

Michael Drout - Awesome talking to someone you saw on a DVD. Gotta love scholars.

Jef Murray - Gotta love artists who can sing!

Kate Brown - Speaking of those who can sing... :)

Krista Padgett - the harp was amazing

The Brobdingnagain Bards - Are they ever not fun?

Constance Wagner - Funny enough, the whole story of the nethers begins with Constance....

JP, Tim, Daniel - Huzzah! we should do this again sometime ;)

Jo - Do I really need to say anything? I'm hoping you already know. :)

And I know I am a terrible person, because I am sure I forgot people that NEED to be on this list. With everything that happened - I can't even remember everyone's names though all of your faces are so clear in my head.

I did hand out a lot of cards, so hopefully you guys wil be in touch., so I can commit you all to memory. Honestly, I have never been to any event where I wanted to be friends with EVERYONE I met.

Until the next adventure, I keep you in fellowship.

Michael Cook
Studio Kensai
ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 05:35 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 138

Michael Cook has said the whole story of the nethers begins with Constance Wagner. It does????

Michael, did I miss something? Hard to miss nethers! LOL Or was my head in a poetic fog?

Confusedly yours,
Constance Wagner
AKA Shire Scholar
ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 05:42 PM

Old Took

Nethers aside, I did want to offer this brief memory tidbit for posting today as a not to be forgotten moment:

Under a moonless sky
rose a piercing cry.
Danger!
Ghostly danger!
Cloaks flying,
swords held high --
Rangers! --
To the rescue ...!

Hope this captures the impromptu adrenaline rush of bravery we witnessed under the starry sky.

ShireScholar
ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 06:46 PM

Old Took

Oh wait! Michael,I think I vaguely recall commenting on your lack of a codpiece during your second panel Saturday morn. Did I say something like "Not that I'm spending time studying your nether region, but I did notice the armor has no codpiece."

How do you get this post block to blush? I didn't hear your next presentation because I was off doing my own. Did you make your own nether region comment after lunch?

Well, I guess this is one way to end up in ALEP song, story, and legend :lol: . LOL

Netherly yours,

ShireScholar (Constance) :hobbit computer:

Studio Kensai
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 08:32 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 155

LOL. Yes Constance, It was your comment about my lack of ... ahem, lower body protection that started the whole thing. I was relating the story to others later that evening and the conversation kept getting sidetracked before I could finish, thus I had to keep bringing the conversation back to topic... which just happened to be my nethers. So yes I credit you with the true beginning of this ALEP in-joke. :lol:

Michael Cook
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 08:47 PM

I, for one, would like to see on the Scheduling Program for next time, a panel entitled
Michael Cook presents: Let's Get Back to my Nethers :clue:
ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 8 2008, 09:05 PM

Old Took

Well, isn't it lovely to be the Muse of an ALEP in-joke!
Should I now costume appropriately as the Goddess (Vala) of Asides and Snarky Commentary?

Last time I checked the Valar Job Descriptions, that one was empty. What would be appropriate accessories for such garb? Judy? :feedback:

Still nethering,
ShireScholar AKA
Constance of the Comment
dora_took
Posted: Oct 9 2008, 12:28 AM

Dora Took

lol! I dunno, ShireScholar, but I think it ought to have something to do with a (flaming) pinecone!
I'd love to see what you come up with for such a costume, it would be a hoot!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :outfit:

(I guess it was Lewis Carroll that hunted snarks??)
melianndoriath
Posted: Oct 9 2008, 02:15 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (ShireScholar @ Oct 8 2008, 05:42 PM)
Nethers aside, I did want to offer this brief memory tidbit for posting today as a not to be forgotten moment:

Under a moonless sky
rose a piercing cry.
Danger!
Ghostly danger!
Cloaks flying,
swords held high --
Rangers! --
To the rescue ...!

Hope this captures the impromptu adrenaline rush of bravery we witnessed under the starry sky.

ShireScholar

Love your words to help capture the memory of the rise of the rangers

It was awesome to meet you Constance and Michael. My life bit richer for knowing you. Thanks for coming to ALEP. I look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.

Meli
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 9 2008, 01:15 PM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (ShireScholar @ Oct 8 2008, 01:42 PM)

Under a moonless sky
rose a piercing cry.
Danger!
Ghostly danger!
Cloaks flying,
swords held high --
Rangers! --
To the rescue ...!

ShireScholar

Oh, that's very nice. Yes, I think that captures the moment well, and what a moment it was!
As for the 'nethers', I was not in on this little joke and I was wondering what on Earth people were talking about when I heard it mentioned. Now I know.

nierielraina
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 02:47 AM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 105

Wow, I keep meaning to come over and catch up and look at all the great memories I've missed out on!

Great poem about the rangers to the rescue, ShireScholar! That was great!

Michael said:
Lady A and Nierelraina - I cannot say how much you guys rock.

Back at ya, mellon nîn! *huggles* You are the kewlest armorer evah! ;) Cant' wait to actually commission something from you. And I will. Just as soon as I find some money. :P

NiRi
aka Nieriel Raina

:legolas shoot:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 12:42 PM

Wandering Wizard

Other fav moments…
:galadriel:
Hearing Bonnie half-elven recite word-for-word (so far as I could tell) the prolog to the FOTR movie. I was blown away. I didn’t know she could do that; the voice and everything. Wow. People (and elves) certainly surprise you. What an amazing addition that was to that night. Thank you!
:wine:
Receiving an actual bottle of wine from the Old Winyards. What a nice gift, and I adore such things. It will never be uncorked, although I am certain it is good. It will be an heirloom of the dwelling of Gandalf from now till I go west over the seas, and even than I may take it with me.
:blink:
Our guests. If you saw the first panel in the event barn, than you saw them assembled at one time. Each-and-every one of them gave 110% and added their own brand of magic to the event. It would not have been the same without them. They all did way more than was asked of them. I very much appreciate that they got involved with many aspects and events of the party.
:sewing:
I also received a embroidered picture of Gandalf the Grey which now hangs on my wall and will stay there. A very touching gift and one that will be cherished for all days.
:bilbo:
Bilbo’s speech. It was an iconic moment. We did not have a chance to rehearse it with everything set up, so we were all anxious (most of all Bilbo) about that: the pinnacle of the entire event. I watched just as you did and knew I was there at that moment. Magical.
:)
Hearing Kate sing. It had been some time since I had heard her sing in a proper setting. Her singing stops me dead in my tracks, and always has.

ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 04:59 PM

Old Took

For all who liked my "Ranger Danger" poem -- and no, that's not the title LOL --
many thanks. Actually Meli's line referring to it as "the rise of the rangers" would make a good title, yes?

I had intended to simply write up a list of favorite moments to share but now I think I would like to do short bursts of poetry (like the Ranger poem) to capture the feeling. It will take me a while but it seems a fitting tribute to the event.

Also, a stray thought -- is this something people would like to see on the ALEP calendar perhaps on a corner of each date page? That would be my contribution, if there is interest.

Frodo? :feedback: Bilbo? Gandalf? Everyone?? LOL!!!!

Shire Scholar :hobbit computer:
Lady Aibreán
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 05:13 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 87

As for me... I think that's a brilliant idea!
Melilot Fields from Deephallow
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 05:25 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 97

I, for one, would be most interested in pics with poetry! Or even poetry without pics, should it come to that.
:pen & paper:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 12:40 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

I dabble in a bit of poetry myself, and meant to work up the courage, Constance, to show you some of my stuff.

But alas, I never did :)
Frodo
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 01:10 AM

Frodo Baggins

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (ShireScholar @ Oct 14 2008, 12:59 PM)
For all who liked my "Ranger Danger" poem -- and no, that's not the title LOL --
many thanks. Actually Meli's line referring to it as "the rise of the rangers" would make a good title, yes?

I had intended to simply write up a list of favorite moments to share but now I think I would like to do short bursts of poetry (like the Ranger poem) to capture the feeling. It will take me a while but it seems a fitting tribute to the event.

Also, a stray thought -- is this something people would like to see on the ALEP calendar perhaps on a corner of each date page? That would be my contribution, if there is interest.

I think it's a great idea, maybe I can use contributions from both you and WhiteLadyEowyn.
nierielraina
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 02:01 AM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 105

My best memories of ALEP:

Arriving and realizing just how BIG Shaker Village is! And realizing I'd have to traverse it with 17 stitches in my leg. Ow, ow, ow… Big thanks to Bilbo for securing me a ride from the Old Grange Thursday night to my car so I could retrieve my dinner ticket!! And thanks to my ride! I can't remember who it was now. :(

Checking in for ALEP. When Eowyn asked me for my badge name, the lady beside me, who I'd never seen before turned and said, "I'm Mae!" *squees ensued* We've been online pals for a while, but that was the first time we've met in person. :) *hugs Mae* My cranberry juice shall never be the same, m'dear! *wink*

Checking into Shaker Village without having been able to get hold of my roommate and commenting that nautika wasn't there. To which a very nice lady standing nearby informed me that yes, she had, and was in her room. Then she introduced herself as Lady A, the admin of GoI. :) So nice to finally meet you Lady A! You are AWESOME!

Getting to my room and realizing they had given me a keychain with no key! And then realizing there were STAIRS! It's a miracle I did not fall down them, not even once! :P

Arriving up at the Old Grange Thursday night and seeing all the many costumes and meeting so many new and not so new people (many I've met online). The setting was truly perfect! Mother Nature's story was intriguing and Gandalf's ghost stories didn't sink in until I was trudging across Shaker Village by myself after midnight and hearing strange noises! Thankfully it was just the horses. :o

Brobdingnagian Bards – you guys are INCREDIBLE! Thanks for sharing with us! And Marc, I REALLY love the kilt! ;)

The FOOD! Shaker Village did such a fantastic job on the food! Mmmm….

Seeing Michael Cook in his Elven armor. Thanks, Michael, for letting us touch! ;) And all the great info we learned! You rock! Just remember not to dance in chainmail. :D And your talk about swords (love the sharp pointy objects!) and the role of the hero and swords. Truly moving! I wish I had that whole thing on video.

Michael Drout, when you got up and read to us from Beowolf in Anglo Saxon… Wow, I will never forget that! Amazing!

Cruising up and down the Brandywine with everyone in costume was a lot of fun. The views were lovely, but the company was wonderful!

Archery at the Party! That was a BLAST! Lady A and Gwynnyd did a fantastic job! And it was fun to shoot with so many people! I have a great shot of Arwen taking a pic of Aragorn and the piece of straw he shot through. :)

The party itself had to be the most fun I've had in years, if not my life! It felt like being right inside the movie. Watching the Black Rider gallop away in the dark sent chills down my spine! (Glad the rider and horse are okay! I didn't hear about the fall until later!) Bilbo's speech was perfect! The music was great. And the dancing… yep, been a long time since I've had fun like that.

Bilbo, you will always be Bilbo in my head from now on. Your characterization shall surely influence my writing Bilbo, but that is a good thing! :) The skits and speech were all wonderfully done! Thank you for all your hard work!

Gandalf, I will never forget the first time I saw you Thursday night in full costume. I had to do a double take and was in awe to see the real Gandalf had indeed shown up! ;) And again, the skits were just perfect!

Eowyn and Frodo, I didn't get a chance to speak to you guys much, but you both did an awesome job as well! Thanks for all the hard work!

And thanks to everyone who helped organize, plan, hang lanterns and all the hard work that made ALEP an event I will never forget. These are stories I'll pass down to my grandchildren.

Hugs to all!

NiRi
aka Nieriel Raina
ShireScholar
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 01:47 PM

Old Took

Eowyn,
No need to be shy. I will look at your "stuff" if you don't mind waiting for a while for a response. Currently, I am buried under midterms and admin work and (most importantly) a book proposal.

Frodo,
Glad you are open to the poetry idea. I think of these things as "poem bursts" -- short vivid depictions of imagery and sensation that capture specific moments of the Party -- ALEP Allusions, if you will. They are not meant to be long -- just bright and telling so as to work all the better as memory prompts.

"Rise of the Rangers" was one such. Last night in the middle of midterm grading, this one occured to me:

SHIRE REEL
Rusts and golds and forest greens;
Smoky browns and reddish sheens --
Hobbits garbed like autumn leaves,
Reeling round the dance floor.

Lilting laughter on the air;
Ribbons twined in lasses' hair;
Festive lights in Party Tree --
It must be Bilbo's birthday!

I could hear the music and feel the dancing in my soul when this came to mind. Hope you can too. :)

Namarie,
Shire Scholar

Forestchild
Posted: Oct 15 2008, 01:59 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 62

That is very lovely. Thank you for sharing. Now to find a nice image of the dancing and add your piece to it, that is if you don't mind, and post it here at work. That was certainly a wonderful memory of mine, and you captured it so well.

-Forestchild-
:tree: :hobbit lass:
jennyp221
Posted: Oct 16 2008, 04:10 PM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (ShireScholar @ Oct 14 2008, 04:59 PM)

I think having poetry on the calendar is a wonderful idea!

dora_took
Posted: Oct 17 2008, 12:03 AM

Dora Took

QUOTE (Studio Kensai @ Oct 8 2008, 11:26 AM)
I did hand out a lot of cards, so hopefully you guys wil be in touch., so I can commit you all to memory. Honestly, I have never been to any event where I wanted to be friends with EVERYONE I met.

You were GOING to give me your card.. but we got involved in unloading the cake and all that water and forgot! Care to PM me?

Uruviel
Posted: Oct 21 2008, 08:08 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 104

Being back in the real world is a little disheartening. I really miss the time I spent at A Long Expected Party. I believe I’ve told this to many (The organizers of ALEP as well many back here at home), that ALEP was the most wonderful event I’ve ever been too. Between the people who all share the love of Tolkien’s stories, the atmosphere, the weather, the wonderful costumes, and the panels and events, one could not have asked for a better weekend. As I sit at my desk as work I reflect back on some of the memories made that weekend.

*Arriving in Shaker Village and thinking how much it reminded me of what an Autumn Shire would have looked like, with the rolling hills and grassy plains.
*Exploring the village in costume and finding numerous nooks and cranny’s in which we took some amazing pictures in.
*Feeding the horses apples. Which we had swiped at dinner the night before.
*Hiking up the cliff face with other costumed party-goes and thinking how much it reminded me of the Fellowship, departing from Rivendell (This was especially vivid since directly in front of me were several hobbits, a ranger, and an elf!). Even though I apparently sprained my ankle on this hike (And it put me on crutches and painkillers for a week after I got back!), I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
*Laying on the cool grass in my elf costume during the Ghost Walk and staring up at the clear night sky, watching the stars as eerie tales were being quietly told behind lantern-light.
*Riding to the party site in my hobbit garb, feeling very much like a hobbit who lived a short distance from bag end and needed the assistance of a wagon to make the trip.
*The party itself was definitely ‘a night to remember’ as it was even more than I imagined it would be.

And I think my most hopeful memory, resides in the conversation I had with Jo and JP on Sunday, just as I was packing up the car and leaving. I was telling them how great the event with and Jo said “See, he’s already started saying ‘when’ instead of ‘if’”, in reference to JP talking about having another event similar to this one.
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 03:59 AM

Shire Wizard

Good Times,Good memories,Good Friends,what more could you ask for well maybe another gathering. :bilbo smoke:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 04:10 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Uruviel:

I remember that conversation. Alas, I do not remember your face! I am horrible at remembering people, and it was made even worse by the abcessed teeth -- which, by the time we had that conversation, were putting me in absolute misery.
Uruviel
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 05:23 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 104

COMPLETELY understandable Jo. Even had you not been in pain, I'm sure with as busy as you were that weekend, things would have been a blur anyways! ^_^

:MPfireworks: :Palantir: :bilbo smoke: :calendar:
Bonnie_Half-Elven
Posted: Oct 25 2008, 06:36 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Oct 11 2008, 12:42 PM)
Other fav moments…
:galadriel:
Hearing Bonnie half-elven recite word-for-word (so far as I could tell) the prolog to the FOTR movie. I was blown away. I didn’t know she could do that; the voice and everything. Wow. People (and elves) certainly surprise you. What an amazing addition that was to that night. Thank you!

Alas, Master Gandalf, I missed three words.

...Rumor grew of a shadow [in the east], whispers of a nameless fear...

Thank you so much for the opportunity to do that! I am such a GEEK!

I am horrible at remembering people, and it was made even worse by the abcessed teeth -- which, by the time we had that conversation, were putting me in absolute misery.

Oh, my, Jo! I was not the only one in pain over the weekend! I empathize. I've had my share of tooth pain. I hope you're doing better now. It was great seeing you again!

Folks, it's terribly late, but here is my ALEP report. It fits well here because it contains my favorite memories.

http://bonnie-halfelvn.livejournal.com/75697.html

There is a link to my pictures at the end.
dora_took
Posted: Oct 26 2008, 02:54 AM

Dora Took

Bonnie, you were so awesome doing that!!! Excellent job.

Bonnie_Half-Elven
Posted: Oct 26 2008, 03:17 AM

Shire Scholar

Thank you!
nautika
Posted: Oct 28 2008, 12:36 PM

Shire Wizard

Just curious. One of my memories was when Michael Cook asked us to use the word deadlicious. I used it alot the first couple of days, and then I came down with the crud, and forgot all about it. :o

How is everyone else who knew about that assignment doing with it? I asked a friend in Lexington to use it, so maybe she and JP will get it going there.

nautika
pattibaggins
Posted: Oct 28 2008, 01:27 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 96

Bonnie, as many others have already told you, you were wonderful! Thank you so much for being Galadriel for us all; your prologue recitation will always be one of my favourite memories of ALEP.

I told my husband about using deadlicious, but have had few opportunities in my everyday life, Nautika. But just this last weekend, we had a family celebration of 4 birthdays, and it is fair to say that the food we had was, indeed, deadlicious; barbecued ribs, several salads, homemade spicy pita chips, chocolate cherry bundt cake, and pumpkin cheesecake... mmmm! Two days later, I'm still feeling kind of stuffed! Thanks for reminding me to include the word in my thank you notes to the cooks (my sister in law and nephew, who is a chef).

I have yet to list all my favourite memories for the Party, but that's only because there were so many of them. The costumes, all those Hobbits, the talks by our esteemed guests, the music, the food, the beauty of the Shaker Village, the Party itself; getting to meet Bilbo and Frodo (my Hobbit heroes for decades!), and everyone else. Best of all, though, was the feeling of community and fellowship. We really were an extended family, even though I'd never met most of you before. I truly felt at home there, and that, more than anything else, I will never forget.

I am SO looking forward to doing this again!

Patti
AnnaEstel
Posted: Oct 28 2008, 02:08 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 57

Ah yes, 'deadlicious'. I seem to remeber him saying that he was gonna set up a blog or something about it, but have heard nothing. I sent it out with a waiter in Victoria, and an aunt in Austin. My mom has also attempted to pass it along. Oh, also a cousin in Seguin. So at least 5 Texas towns have been seeded, but I don't know if it will take. I'd love to find out!
Myrtle_Greenhand
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 10:42 PM

Shire Mayor

Member No.: 6

I missed "deadlicious". Explain, please?

Another happy memory for me was Gandalf throwing the glow sticks at us. I felt as a child again, happily catching them and playing swords and dragons with friends.
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 11:21 PM

Shire Wizard

I also missed the deadlicious and Bonnie I thought you did a fantastic job . I hope you are feeling better too. I sat on the same hay wagon as you. I am the Hobbit with dark hair that told you your shoes were awesome. :galadriel: :pumpkin:
Bonnie_Half-Elven
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 12:56 AM

Shire Scholar

QUOTE (Bramblerose @ Oct 30 2008, 11:21 PM)
I also missed the deadlicious and Bonnie I thought you did a fantastic job . I hope you are feeling better too. I sat on the same hay wagon as you. I am the Hobbit with dark hair that told you your shoes were awesome. :galadriel: :pumpkin:

I am feeling better, thank you very much! Alas! I'm not sure the shoes will ever be the same...
Bramblerose
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 03:04 PM

Shire Wizard

Probably not:) but that was so creative but your entire white costume was wonderful. I am glad you are feeling better. SV spook :ghost: :wraith: :witchking: :tombstone: :pumpkin:
pattibaggins
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 05:31 PM

Shire Wizard

Deadlicious came from Michael Cook, as an experiment to see how far a coined word would travel, and whether or not it would come into general use. It describes the sort of foods that we love to eat too much of, even though we know they're really bad for us, like the all-butter, all-cream, all-sugar cakes we have for special occasions, or the full-of-fat deep-fried anythings that taste so wonderful. Mmm... chocolate covered caramels; deadlicious!

Happy Hallowe'en, everyone! Don't be too scared by :wraith: :shelob: :dragon: SV spook :pumpkin:

Patti
ShireScholar
Posted: Nov 3 2008, 03:07 PM

Old Took

Just a heads up in this thread. There are now four "poem bursts" in my original post in the Poet's Corner: "Rise of the Rangers", "Shire Reel", "Dayrise", and the latest as of Nov. 3rd, 2008 -- "Lantern's Light" about our Thursday night Bondfire.

Hope this does some more evoking!

Best,
ShireScholar
Posted: Nov 16 2008, 05:29 PM

Old Took

I have to say here how much I am enjoying writing little poem bursts about favorite memories, as it makes me look at the whole ALEP experience in a very focused way that still lends itself to dream.

The eighth burst over at Poet's Corner is called "River of Dreams" and is about our cruise. I regret that the somewhat airy fairy tone it ended up having did not allow for inclusion of the memorable comment from one Elvish lady who was sitting near me as I was discussing literary criticism with Michael Drout.

Those who were on the top deck will surely recall the frantic cry of: "Spider in the boobs! Spider in the boobs!" :shelob:

Not too much litcrit discussion after that! :lol: Guess Shelob wanted a day on the water, too. B)

Best,
Bramblerose
Posted: Nov 16 2008, 06:31 PM

Shire Wizard

Oh that is so funny and I wish I had been there to see it I was down below enjoyong the lovely fragrance of Gandalf the Grey 's pipe. I love your poems and yes they draw me back to the best September that I can remember in a long time. Thank you for sharing them. : ALEP : :lotr_gandalf:
ShireScholar
Posted: Nov 20 2008, 12:29 AM

Old Took

Another truly funny comment emerged at the Birthday Party during the dancing. It was when our team of more experienced Hobbit chorines had taken time to instruct some brave souls in actual dance patterns. Things were moving along reasonably well and then even better as folks got the hang of actual choreography.

It all looked lovely and then one of the newbie dancers shouted in astonished delight, "I actually know what I'm doing!" :lol:

And speaking of dancing, my thanks to Pippin :pippin: for kidnapping me and spinning me round about the dance floor for about three short but very energetic sets. Nice to know that I can dance the Springlering with a 'tween Hobbit and hold my own.

And speaking of Pippin, there will be posted later tonight a lighthearted tribute to our hardworking 'tween team of Hobbits Samwise and Pippin over at the Poet's Corner.
If someone has a photo of the moment on Thursday at Old Grange when Bilbo playfuly dragged them off by their ears, that would be a lovely illustration.

And there will also be a brief burst about the Hall of Fire. :grouphug:

Hope Bilbo's Best enjoy their poem burst.

Best,

whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Nov 20 2008, 12:49 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Constance, there is a photo of that over in the photobucket.

I will go search for it and post it in a link here as an edit when I find it.

Edit: Here you go.

(Posted Image)
ShireScholar
Posted: Nov 20 2008, 01:35 AM

Old Took

Jo/Eowyn:
:lol: I saw that happen from the front as both 'tweens danced away under Bilbo's "direction". The memory still makes me smile.

BTW, new poem bursts -- including the 'tween tribute -- are now up over in Poet's Corner.

Speaking of which -- when are you going to add a few more over there?

Joy,
Constance/Shire Scholar :hobbit computer:
vladazhael
Posted: Nov 20 2008, 02:56 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 175

I know I'm not going to remember everything in one post, but there are a few moments that stand out:

-During the mostly-coordinated bits of dancing at the party, Michael Cook yelling "Why am I dancing with a man???"

-Sharing a bench during lunch with Bonnie/Galadriel and Tolman/Aragorn, and overhearing the latter addressing the former as "Grandma."

-The Fellowship of the Hike. Bilbo led us on a terrific journey. None of my incessant ravine-romping in the Michigan woods prepared me for the beauty of the area around the Kentucky river - and I don't think I've ever had more fun running around in the wilderness. (I didn't even care that I was allergic to every last bit of it!) Normally, I can't even walk across a room without bumping into something or tripping over nothing at all, but I was scampering along that cliffside trail like a mountain goat (because I kept stopping to take pictures and then scrambling to catch up) - and all in a floor-length gown. I will probably never be that graceful again. Elvish inspiration, I'm sure. B) Oh, and that lembas provided by our dear Pippin and Sam - delicious! :lembas:

-Meeting my pals from GoI, of course!

-First meeting Gandalf in the process of letting him know that Eowyn had his car keys and would return shortly - surrealism at its finest!

-Finding out what sound llamas make. ("Mrrrp.")

-Realizing for the first time, despite having been there briefly before, that I ADORE Kentucky. I'm craving another road trip...

-Taking a picture of a sleeping hobbit, who just the day before had been an elf clambering along the rocks high above me (got a couple shots of that, too). Also, taking a picture of Gandalf smoking his pipe on a big rock near the river, which turned out to be one of the best photos I have *ever* taken.

-Meeting some of the most fun, kind, spectacular people I have ever had the great pleasure to encounter. I know I was a little scarce, since allergies and insomnia kept shooing me back inside during the day, but I'll certainly remember all of you (and hopefully keep in touch as well).

To those of you who planned this whole shindig - you are AMAZING, and I thank you from the bottom of my hobbity heart for all of it.
MithLuin
Posted: Nov 21 2008, 11:43 PM

Old Took

-Taking a picture of a sleeping hobbit, who just the day before had been an elf clambering along the rocks high above me (got a couple shots of that, too).

Awww, thanks, it was good to meet you, too! That walk in the woods was the best - I haven't had that much energy on a trail in *years*.

I loved how your outfits were always coordinated :)
Frodo
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 01:38 AM

Frodo Baggins

Member No.: 4

I have just received the most wonderful surprise from Everon Gamgee: The Red Book of ALEP!

I have just finished reading it and it brings back all those wonderful memories from that very special time we all spent together, thank you for this, it shall have a place of honor in my library.

:frodo:

Added 26-11-2008:

I have gotten permission to add the Red Book of ALEP to the web site, and I will do so as soon as I am done with the calendar.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 04:57 AM

Wandering Wizard

As did I. This book is VERY nice and the layout and text makes you want to read it again and again. Such a nice gift and, like Frodo, this will be an heirloom of the house of Gandalf hence forth.

Thank you Everon, for this wonderful piece of Middle Earth to treasure.

(Posted Image)
The Red Book of ALEP 2008

pattibaggins
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 05:31 PM

Shire Wizard

Everon Gamgee and her good friend Rhonda have been friends of mine since they introduced themselves while my husband John and I stood with them in the line of fans waiting to meet John Howe in Torontoa few years back, one of our very first Tolkien-related fannish events. In their generosity, they gifted me with one of the rare copies of the Red Book as well, and it is indeed worthy of becoming an heirloom in our house. Thank you, dear friends!

Patti
ShireScholar
Posted: Nov 29 2008, 08:17 PM

Old Took

Happy Thanksgiving to all! And good luck with all pending Yule plans for a happy Shire holiday!
I am attempting to juggle exam preps with poem bursts (Guess which are winning? :lol: )

I do have another ready to go up in a litle bit -- about our telling of ghostly tales 'neath the old Entish apple tree. (At least I am assuming it was an apple tree since so many were about and one hungry Hobbit near me picked up an apple from the ground and had a good hearty crunch of a snack.)

There are still many things I would like to write about in little bursts -- one is on Monday morn when a group of diehards stood in front of the door to the Trustees House and sang The Road Goes Ever On. In that moment I felt somehow forever young and forever stilled in time -- somewhat like elves must feel, I would think.

What do you think? :feedback:

Happy happy,
Rhyselle
Posted: Nov 29 2008, 09:38 PM

Shire Scholar

Hee. The last bit of walking I did on Sunday morning after breakfast, I found myself singing that song as I made my way towards the West Family Wash House.

I think all of your poem bursts are lovely! :) And I think that, of course they should win out over anything else. *grin*

ALEP and the wonderful folks I met there are high on my "Thankful for" list this year.

:christmas lass:
Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 9 2008, 07:15 PM

Everon_Gamgee

Member No.: 167

:book: Re: The Red Book of ALEP

Dearest Frodo & Gandalf,

I am so very glad that you have received and appear to be pleased by my wee book. It was a labour of love and a joy to put together.

I would hasten to say, however, that it was a group gift from my good friends Pat (the unknown ranger) Parker, his lovely lady-wife Penny, the impish Rhonda Boffin-Baggins & me. For while I may have had the experience to create the book, it was a group decision to offer it to you, our hosts, as a small token of our gratitude and affection. (And they have also underwritten my production costs ;) )

No gift that is within our power to give would ever be adequate recompense for all the joy that you gave us during our four days in Middle Earth, Kentucky. It was simply our hope that we could at least bring you a smile or two on a cold winter's evening, as you thumbed through the pages, and perhaps thought. "Ahhh, I remember THAT."

Yours in fellowship, - Everon

PS: It is my hope that I got our dear Bilbo's address right and that he has received his copy as well; would either of you know if it has arrived safely???? (Now let me see, I believe the address was right; Bag End, at the top of Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, West Farthing, The Shire..., I'm sure that was it?!)
ShireScholar
Posted: Dec 15 2008, 03:07 PM

Old Took

One of my favorite moments was the first sight of the actual party site when we were all high atop our hay-laden "deere", i.e., John Deere Tractor flatbed (Someone said as the hayride conveyance rumbled into view, "We couldn't get a pony, so we got a deer -- a John Deere.") and saw the actual PARTY site laid before us like some Middle-earth dream.

My group was the second round to arrive and we took pix madly after the initial flutter of our collective heart calmed down.
Melinda (Springlering) took a great photo of Group 2 taking photos of the site and those who labored to make it a perfect surprise.

I hope my latest poem burst over at the Poet's Corner captures a little of that "surprised by joy" ( thanks to C.S. Lewis for the great phrase!) feeling we all had at the moment of the big reveal. :calendar:

All best,
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 16 2008, 08:22 PM

Wandering Wizard

The hay ride. Few will ever know the worries I had over that confounded hay ride. We had to get people down to the party site so here were our potions:

•Rent the bus again
•Try to find a team of horses and a wagon (which we did, but that business ceased to exist before our event)
•Let them walk, lol

Well, we wanted the horses, but it took too long for them to make the trip. We would have needed several teams of horses and wagons for it to be realistic, but try as we may, it wasn’t meant to be. Still, we wanted the experience of riding down there, in some fashion. A tractor was suggested, and even it was touch-and-go for a while, but at last the village agreed. I very much wanted to ride on the wagons myself, as I knew the route was quite scenic, but that was not to be either. I hope everyone enjoyed it. Mechanical tractor aside, we figured that would have been how ‘they’ would have done it back then. In truth, I believe most hobbits would have simply walked, as it is only 1.5 miles from the village to the party site, but we were forgiving (and even though I myself could have walked it, I did not wish to, lol).

Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 16 2008, 10:57 PM

Everon_Gamgee

Fret not, dear Gandalf, the hay ride was wonderful and who but a mighty wizard could have had a deere do his bidding?? ;) Besides the ride did make for great photo ops.

You are certainly right when you say that the Hobbits would have gladly walked to the party field. Once having seen it I for one would gladly walk twice the distance over broken glass to see it again! :walking hobbit:

There are just too many amazing memories to list, but certainly stepping down from the hay wagon and being in the party field with its beautiful birthday banner and paper lanterns; the sound of music and laughter drifting on the air; a sea of beautifully dressed folk before me, stands as a highlight second only to wandering over to Bag End (enchanting, perfect Bag End) and seeing Bilbo and Frodo seated on their bench smiling and greeting the newest arrivals. (Of course there were also a couple of dear friends seated near by on the grass enjoying their pipes)

These pictures are emblazoned on my memory and still give me goose bumps whenever I think of that amazing night!
:bilbo smoke:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 17 2008, 11:33 AM

Wandering Wizard

Thank you. One of the greatest joys of the party for me has been hearing it & 'seeing' it through the recollections of attendees. IF we have another, I certainly plan on being on that wagon-ride to Hobbiton…and wondering what those hobbits have planned this time.

:cart:
Bramblerose
Posted: Dec 17 2008, 08:00 PM

Shire Wizard

My embarassment of needing help on the wagon was quickly forgotton by the beautiful vistas and great conversation. I listened quite fascinated to be sitting by Lewie who was an Elf that night I think and by the white lady and we actually saw a deer and I was on the lookout for trolls. When we rounded that last bend and saw the Party Tree it took my breath away. I will have that memory in my mind for a long time. The people, the place and that bond that we all shared was just tremendous and made ALEP perfect. :christmas lad:
Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 17 2008, 10:30 PM

Everon_Gamgee

My dear Gandalf :lotr_gandalf: , PLEASE do not say IF , but rather WHEN, for we all know that the day MUST come when we gather again in fellowship.
:frodo: :pippin: :merry: :sam: Of course should you miss the hay wagon a phalanx of Hobbits would proudly carry your wizardly self all the way to the Party Field. (Plan on being a wee bit late in that event :P )

And sweet Bramblerose, please rest assured that you were not the only one who required assistance in boarding the hay wagon! (One small step for long-legged Elfkind; one large struggle for Hobbity bottoms everywhere! <_< ) But oh, it was sooooo worth the struggle wasn't it? Winding through the countryside, beautiful trees, dramatic skies and all those incredible drystone walls! Ahhhhhh, how I'd love to go back. :cart: :bag end:
Bramblerose
Posted: Dec 18 2008, 12:24 AM

Shire Wizard

Well thank goodness that I was not the only one that needed help and yes it was worth it. Everon_Gamgee I agree it is not if but when we meet together again. I just think sometimes that the old wizard is tricksey and knows more than he is telling. But then that is the fun part the anticipation the not knowing. So go on and keep your little secrets Gandalf the grey. :lotr_gandalf: Oh Merry Christmas! :christmas wizard:
dora_took
Posted: Dec 18 2008, 02:20 PM

Dora Took

Bramblerose, I'm not sure how on earth I would have gotten up on that tractor!! I'd need a mounting block I think :rolleyes: But, as luck would have it, it was full when I got there. however, for my luck, one of the SV staff guys was also there in his truck, and he gave me a lift right behind the tractor. :lol: We also picked up a wandering hobbit on the way who thought she could walk down there as it didn't look too far on the map.

They did do a marvelous job setting up, didn't they!

Bramblerose
Posted: Dec 18 2008, 05:00 PM

Shire Wizard

Well, Dora you know how bad my knees are but I had a moment of vanity and why of course if the young ones could get up there so could I. I had one lady pulling and the tractor guy pushing and holding my other arm when I tried to help my knee buckled but luckyily it was on a bale of hay. :lol: When I got there I scooted down on the trailer and hopped off the trailer. In retrospect I should have not been so vain and asked for help but I can laugh about it now. They did a wonderful job. :christmas lad: :christmas lass:
Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 18 2008, 09:12 PM

Everon_Gamgee

:lol: Oh dear I AM laughing now, sweet Bramblerose, as you have just very adroitly described both my boarding and my departure from the hay wagon!!!
It was quite the struggle to get on board, pushed from behind and pulled from in front! :wub: But so worth the trip, and I also used the oh-so-graceful-drop-to-your-bottom-and-scoot-off-the-edge style of disembarking. Of course I was proud that I "stuck" the landing! ;)

We will HAVE to meet face to face at the next event. :hobbit lass: :hobbit lass red:

I also have to agree that our wise Wizard most likely knows more than he is saying. He has given us some very tantalizing hints though. So we'll just have to keep an eye on him :sauron: and see what develops. For not even the very wise can see all ends.

Dora Took, it does seem that luck was with you and with the poor wandering Hobbit that you and your trusty vehicle rescued. The party field did look quite close on the map but perhaps that was based on how the Crebain fly! I do love the idea of a mounting block though, or perhaps a nice block & tackle.

The important thing is we all were there laughing and feasting and dancing under the lights in the party tree. Even now almost three months later, I get goose bumps when I think of it. I'm sure I always will. :rolleyes:

Well, until we all meet again have a very Cool Yule and a Merry Christmas!!!
:christmas lass: :christmas lad: :christmas wizard:
Bramblerose
Posted: Dec 19 2008, 03:24 AM

Shire Wizard

Oh, Everon_Gamgee I am laughing now too. Thank you and Dora for making me feel so much better about it. Yes,we will have to meet face to face as we already seem like kindred spirits. Merry Christmas to you too. My daughter and husband and 5 grandkids are coming to see their Grammy this weekend and then we will have our Christmas with them. My other two grandkids live in Washington state and I don't get to see them so I mail them their Christmas and miss them so much. :christmas lad: :christmas lass:
Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 19 2008, 04:25 PM

Everon_Gamgee

:o Oh, Bramblerose, we are becoming more kindred spirits by the moment! Would you believe that I am also "Grammy" to my grandchildren! :P Too, too funny! :lol:

I only have two grandchildren, a 3 year old grandson (Zachary) & a new granddaugher (Emily) who will be 2 months old tomorrow. We will be celebrating Christmas together on the 27th this year, but hey, whenever we can all be gathered together is Christmas Day for me. :christmas lad: Sorry to hear that you won't get to see all of your family this year, but I know that they'll be in your heart and you'll be in theirs.

I wish you a world of joy and laughter with your family this Christmas and always. :christmas wizard:
Lady Aibreán
Posted: Dec 19 2008, 05:48 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 87

Never fret, my dears! We cannot all be as graceful as an elf when clambering up and down that wagon -- especially when voluminous skirts are involved! I would brave that indignity and more to take that ride again to the Party! :lol:
Bramblerose
Posted: Dec 19 2008, 08:30 PM

Shire Wizard

So true Lady A. :christmas lass:
dora_took
Posted: Dec 28 2008, 11:16 PM

Dora Took

I have a question for the "memory trust" here.

Remember at that first panel with all of the guests... someone forgot to turn off their cell phone. But instead of anyone griping about it, it had a LotR ringtone and everyone clamored to find out where she got it??

Since I can barely ever remember to turn my cell phone on (and then I can't always find it in time when it rarely rings...) I don't bother with ringtones. But other inquiring minds would like to know. So, does anyone recall where the ringtone was downloaded???

Thanks!

-Dora Took :hobbit lass: :sewing: :fireplace:
Rhyselle
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 04:22 AM

Shire Scholar

QUOTE (dora_took @ Dec 28 2008, 11:16 PM)

Remember at that first panel with all of the guests... someone forgot to turn off their cell phone. But instead of anyone griping about it, it had a LotR ringtone and everyone clamored to find out where she got it??

Since I can barely ever remember to turn my cell phone on (and then I can't always find it in time when it rarely rings...) I don't bother with ringtones. But other inquiring minds would like to know. So, does anyone recall where the ringtone was downloaded???

Thanks!

I don't recall where they said they got it but you can create your own if you have the soundtracks on your computer by going to the following website:

http://www.myxer.com/make/

The "make your own" feature is free.

Cheers! :frodo vanish:
ShireScholar
Posted: Jan 2 2009, 05:08 PM

Old Took

Happy New Year all!

Just wanted to direct folks over to the Poet's Corner where Everon Gamgee has added a really wonderful piece called "First Night". I added some new poem bursts as well but I was so struck by the wonderfully welcoming tone of this piece (as was Eowyn, I think -- yes, my Lady? :feedback: ), that I felt compelled to direct some cyber traffic.

Any more shy poets out there? :book:
All are welcome at the poetic Party, remember! :frodo:

Joy,
nautika
Posted: Jan 4 2009, 11:10 PM

Shire Wizard

QUOTE (dora_took @ Dec 28 2008, 06:16 PM)

Thanks!

That was Lady A, but I've asked her twice and am ashamed to ask her again!

nautika
dora_took
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 02:13 PM

Dora Took

QUOTE (nautika @ Jan 4 2009, 06:10 PM)

That was Lady A, but I've asked her twice and am ashamed to ask her again!

nautika

Thanks, Nautika. Unfortunately I don't see Lady A around here very much! well.... if you were brave enough to ask her, then you'd have it written down (assuming you replied here :P :rolleyes: ) and wouldn't need to keep asking! :lol:

DaisyBaggins
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 05:32 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (dora_took @ Dec 18 2008, 09:20 AM)
  We also picked up a wandering hobbit on the way who thought she could walk down there as it didn't look too far on the map.

I felt like a fool when I realized how far Bag End was! BUT...I'm glad I did make the error...I got to play the role of "paparazzi," chasing down that wagon of hobbits! :)
dora_took
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 03:41 AM

Dora Took

Oh Daisy! no need to apologize. :lol: Judging from the map, there was no way to realize that the Party was about 2 miles from the main area!! It looked as close as the Barn which certainly was walkable. It was the maps fault for not being in scale.

Perhaps next time the map could show a "break" in the road with a notation about actual distance? There is, after all, no way to accurately show how far it is.

(it was fun stalking the wagon, though!)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1189 seconds · Archive