· Portal  Help      Search      Members      Calendar

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Alep 2008. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Poll: How Long Are You Partying For?, Arrival date

The Party is the 25th - 28th. When do you plan to arrive?
Wednesday Sept. 24 [ 10 ]  [37.04%]
Thursday Sept. 25 [ 15 ]  [55.56%]
Friday Sept. 26 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Saturday Sept. 27 - I can only make Bilbo's Party [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Sunday Sept. 28 - I'll be waving goodbye as everyone leaves [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Fool of a Took! I don't think I can make it. Take lots of photos! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Monday Sept. 22 [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Tuesday Sept. 23 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Myrtle_Greenhand
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 04:28 AM

Shire Mayor

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

:cart:

Just wondering when Hobbits, Rangers, Elves, Men, and anyone else :dwarf: is currently hoping to arrive for A Long-Expected Party.

I was thinking about getting there early, getting settled, and totally relaxed for the long weekend of partying!

:MPfireworks:
melianndoriath
Posted on Aug 21 2007, 01:34 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 20

At this point, I'm hoping to arrive on Thursday. It all depends upon my mode of arrival:driving vs. flying. I also want to get in as much partying as I can, Myrtle. :P :tankard:
Morrigan
Posted on Aug 21 2007, 06:45 PM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 10

Hey :legolas:

Given the distance I'm travelling (approx 17 hours inc waiting about at airports!) I will be arriving Wednesday and leaving Monday most likely. Will have a better idea once I can view flights for Sept 2008 as its too far in advance for the websites to cope with just now lol

A day to adjust and prepare and a day to recover ...and in between much partying. :tankard:

Morri
B)
melianndoriath
Posted on Aug 23 2007, 01:22 AM

Shire Wizard

You've got me re-thinking this a bit, Morri. :unsure:

Meli
rohtireth
Posted on Aug 23 2007, 07:52 PM

Rohan Ranger

Member No.: 9

Hi - I like the poll, but is it possible to add Monday to the list?
Myrtle_Greenhand
Posted on Aug 23 2007, 08:44 PM

Shire Mayor

Member No.: 6

and would that be the Monday before or the Monday after The Party?? :lol:

:MPfireworks: :tree: :grouphug:
Morrigan
Posted on Aug 23 2007, 11:28 PM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (melianndoriath @ Aug 23 2007, 01:22 AM)
You've got me re-thinking this a bit, Morri. :unsure:

Meli

Well, Im Scottish Meli - partying is an art form to me. ;) Plus the mayhem that is the UK weekend SciFi cons taught me long ago to always add preparation and recovery time at either end! LOL :tankard:

Morri
B)
melianndoriath
Posted on Aug 24 2007, 02:04 AM

Shire Wizard

A wise gal, ye be, Morri. The older I become the more important preparation and recouperation are. ;)
rohtireth
Posted on Aug 24 2007, 09:28 PM

Rohan Ranger

QUOTE (rohtireth @ Aug 23 2007, 07:52 PM)
Hi - I like the poll, but is it possible to add Monday to the list?

Duhh...guess I should read more carefully. The poll does specifically ask when we plan on ARRIVING, not how long we are staying or when we are leaving. My bad... :tankard: :P
maura labingi
Posted on Aug 25 2007, 01:25 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

My "Wednesday" arrival is qualified: departing from the "left coast" means getting to Shaker Village will pretty much take all day.
Although its too early to make plane reservations, I did do a little research. Even if I get an early-morning flight out of LAX, the unavoidable stop-over (and crossing two time zones) will mean I can't hope to arrive at the Lexingon airport before 4PM. So, I'll be lucky to get to SV by suppertime, check in, grab a bite to eat and just crash. But then, I'll have gotten "a proper night's sleep in a real bed" & be ready to have fun Thurs AM.
-Debbie/primmy
:fireplace:
PS: (waving!) Hi, Roh! I like your Rohan icon! I wish you, Kristi & Marcie could travel with me on Wednesday; I'm not scared of flying but its much more enjoyable with friends along.
rohtireth
Posted on Aug 28 2007, 10:04 PM

Rohan Ranger

QUOTE (maura labingi @ Aug 25 2007, 01:25 AM)
My "Wednesday" arrival is qualified: departing from the "left coast" means getting to Shaker Village will pretty much take all day.
Although its too early to make plane reservations, I did do a little research. Even if I get an early-morning flight out of LAX, the unavoidable stop-over (and crossing two time zones) will mean I can't hope to arrive at the Lexingon airport before 4PM. So, I'll be lucky to get to SV by suppertime, check in, grab a bite to eat and just crash. But then, I'll have gotten "a proper night's sleep in a real bed" & be ready to have fun Thurs AM.
-Debbie/primmy
PS: (waving!) Hi, Roh! I like your Rohan icon! I wish you, Kristi & Marcie could travel with me on Wednesday; I'm not scared of flying but its much more enjoyable with friends along.

Hi Primmy!

Yes, I have looked at the flight schedules as well. I'm thinking that flying out on Wednesday might be the best thing.

Now I just have to find someone who wants to stay and visit the Kentucky Horse Park on Monday w/ me! It's only an hour away...

Roh
:bill:
maura labingi
Posted on Aug 29 2007, 01:09 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

QUOTE (rohtireth @ Aug 28 2007, 03:04 PM)
Hi Primmy!
Yes, I have looked at the flight schedules as well. I'm thinking that flying out on Wednesday might be the best thing.
Now I just have to find someone who wants to stay and visit the Kentucky Horse Park on Monday w/ me! It's only an hour away...
Roh

Here's a possibility to mull over: I'm re-thinking my arrival date. As an Admin. I ought to arrive a day earlier to help set up. So, I should fly out on Tuesday so I can be there (and usefully awake) all day Wednesday. If you flew out on Tuesday also, then you could spend Wednesday at the Horse Park, maybe? Then we could both fly back on Sunday. There's plenty of time to carve out our travel plans, but I thought I'd toss that idea in the hat.
Something to think about, anyway.
-Debbie/primmy
rohtireth
Posted on Aug 29 2007, 05:20 PM

Rohan Ranger

QUOTE (maura labingi @ Aug 29 2007, 01:09 AM)

Here's a possibility to mull over:  I'm re-thinking my arrival date.  As an Admin. I ought to arrive a day earlier to help set up.  So, I should fly out on Tuesday so I can be there (and usefully awake) all day Wednesday.  If you flew out on Tuesday also, then you could spend Wednesday at the Horse Park, maybe?  Then we could both fly back on Sunday.  There's plenty of time to carve out our travel plans, but I thought I'd toss that idea in the hat.
Something to think about, anyway.
-Debbie/primmy

Hmm - I actually like that idea! That way I would have a full day to see the Horse Park, and not worry about rushing back to catch an afternoon flight!

As for leaving on Sunday, I do want to stay as long as possible, so an afternoon flight would be my preference for now. I still have to look at the logistics of everything - guess we still have a little bit of time :hourglass: :P

Roh

maura labingi
Posted on Aug 29 2007, 05:45 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

QUOTE (rohtireth @ Aug 29 2007, 10:20 AM)
Hmm - I actually like that idea! That way I would have a full day to see the Horse Park, and not worry about rushing back to catch an afternoon flight!

As for leaving on Sunday, I do want to stay as long as possible, so an afternoon flight would be my preference for now. I still have to look at the logistics of everything - guess we still have a little bit of time.
Roh

OK, good! We'll highlight that as a possible itenerary, then. I like the idea of a late-afternoon/evening flight back to CA on Sunday also. Now all you have to do is talk Kristi into taking an extra day so she can go to the horse park with you!
-Debbie/primmy
Awelyn
Posted on Sep 8 2007, 08:23 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 33

Well, I am arriving Thursday as I am driving. I live about 5 hours away. I will get up with the dawn and just zoom there as guick as a Nazgul. I plan on decorating my car and just having a great drive. So,I am looking forward to meeting all of you there.
Awelyn : ALEP :
melianndoriath
Posted on Sep 9 2007, 02:40 AM

Shire Wizard

Presently I will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday. Things may change, though, but for now, that's the plan.

Meli

:bag end:
melana
Posted on Sep 15 2007, 02:31 AM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 43

I just got my lodgings :bed: today...I will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday...I only have a 1-2 hour drive so at least I won't be tired when I arrive...
Gandalf
Posted on Sep 18 2007, 07:29 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 41

As of right now, I'm planning on driving up from Atlanta on Wednesday night, and coming home on Sunday.

If anyone wants to ride along :cart: I'd be happy for the company!

:whitegandalf: :G rune:

Neume
Posted on Sep 18 2007, 09:09 PM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (rohtireth @ Aug 28 2007, 10:04 PM)

Now I just have to find someone who wants to stay and visit the Kentucky Horse Park on Monday w/ me!  It's only an hour away...

I would dearly love to visit the Horse Park before or after our party. I have loved horses my entire life. My now ex-boyfriend and I went a year or so ago, but we went after a big snow storm and the place was pretty much deserted and all the horses were pretty much huddled in their stalls. Though I did get to go and pet John Henry through the bars of his stall and they got one of the racehorses out for us to snuggle. Which was a memory to cherish a lifetime. Also the hero of my childhood Man O'War is buried there. :bill:

If there was anytime left over they have the most beautiful horse farms and I'm so up to see the area when its not freezing cold.

Neume :eowyn:
rohtireth
Posted on Sep 18 2007, 10:49 PM

Rohan Ranger

QUOTE (Neume @ Sep 18 2007, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (rohtireth @ Aug 28 2007, 10:04 PM)

I would dearly love to visit the Horse Park before or after our party. I have loved horses my entire life.

If there was anytime left over they have the most beautiful horse farms and I'm so up to see the area when its not freezing cold.

Neume :eowyn:

Well, after talking w/ maura labingi (Debbie), I have decided it would be better to fly in early and visit the park on Wednesday. That way I wouldn't have to rush to catch a plane like I would if I went on Monday. I dunno - that's my thinking on it at this point. Guess I have a little time to figure it out :P

Rohtireth (whose name loosely translates into something like "lady horse watcher")
Neume
Posted on Sep 19 2007, 04:12 AM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

Well,just want to leave an open invitation :letter: to anyone who might be able to take the side trip to the Horse Park. I know I would enjoy the company. But either way if you haven't been there before,you will love it.
Neume :galadriel:
gandalf the grey
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 02:46 AM

Wandering Wizard

Member No.: 2

:cart: You know you can bring a horse to Shaker Village too. They have everything there to care for them. I, for one would love to see some of us riding about on horses, and I have been known to ride myself, but I do live in KY. They have riding trails too.

:G rune:
Neume
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:02 AM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Sep 20 2007, 02:46 AM)
:cart: You know you can bring a horse to Shaker Village too. They everything there to care for them. I, for one would love to see some of us riding about on horses, and I have been known to ride myself, but I do live in KY. They have riding trails too.

Dear Gandalf,
Does everyone ride in Kentucky?? ;) Well,cause that would be nice,would make me think I've been living in the wrong place all these years. lol... Here we just have an overabundance of sequins.

What kind of horses did you or do you ride now??

Hummmm,bringing the boys with me would definatly make for a bit more of an involved trip. I don't own a trailer anymore :( and would have to get the devil child re-trained. But at least now I have lots more free time on my hands to work on that. **stares at silver lining**

I had kinda wished they had ones to lease out for the day or weekend but noticed that was not the case.I bet the trails are lovely ones. But least have a year to see how things go. But if I don't bring them with me, I'm definatly going to spend an extra day at the Horse Park oggling all the pretty ones they have.

Warmly,
Neume
Undomiel
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:10 AM

Daughter of Elrond

Member No.: 25

Does the village have horses available for experienced riders to borrow, or does one absolutely have to bring their own and board it there if they want to ride on the trails?

[edit:] I didn't see Neume's reply before posting. I suppose that answers it. Ah well! :(

~ Arwen.
gandalf the grey
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:28 AM

Wandering Wizard

Member No.: 2

:bill: A great many people do ride here, and I know several. I do not ride as much as Id like, and it shames me, but this too may change soon. The last horse I rode was a Tennessee Walker, but I prefer Quarter horses as they are more rough-and-tumble (and not nearly as tall and high-spirited!).

As for horses here, the horse park offers rides, but I know little of these. I suppose one could find out more on their web site. I am certain Shaker Village offers no horses to ride.

Rosie_Cotton
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:44 AM

Just Maggie...the Future Crazy Old Cat Hobbit!

Member No.: 5

Horses? Oh, dear. They frighten me. :unsure:

Too tall and big and did I mention tall?

:wraith:
Undomiel
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:54 AM

Daughter of Elrond

Member No.: 25

I have to agree with you, Gandalf, Quarter Horses are lovely. My favourites tend to be Arabians, particularly greys, which was what my last horse was. At the moment I'm on a break from the sport, but hopefully that will have changed by this time next year. I do miss horses at the moment!

What a shame, though... I was so hoping that there might be a chance to do some riding at the village.

~ Arwen.
Neume
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 04:07 AM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

Well,don't be shamed,but thats wonderful that it might change soon. Did you find a nice stable or are you lucky enough to horse owning friends nearby?

I've never had a TN Walker though they are very popular around here. They do naturally have such a nice smooth gait. After my various horse related (and other) accidents,smooth and steady is something I now look for.

lol... Well,my QH is actually very tall and very high strung. But he is my forever and ever friend, just because he has such a sweet and loving personality. Plus he gives kisses!

The Appaloosa is tall but not quite as tall,and excedingly naughty to say the least. Even after his bouts of very bad behavior I can't bear to part with him. Just hope he like some people do,will mellow with age. Very soon. :o

I don't have many good pics loaded as I just arrived into the digital age recently but here are some pics of my boys. You can kinda tell what a tall boy,Wills is.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/sailingwest111/Horses/

Arwen,
Ahhhh, I LOVE arabs! I learned to ride on a beautiful grey arabian mare. I will have to bring pics and we can share stories about the arabians in our lives at the gathering. Thinking of Grey Lady still can make me cry to this day. :( If money were no object I would get one and of course my dream horse a big black friesian.sigh....Poetry in motion.
Hugs,
Neume
rohtireth
Posted on Sep 20 2007, 06:26 AM

Rohan Ranger

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Sep 19 2007, 07:46 PM)
:cart: You know you can bring a horse to Shaker Village too. They everything there to care for them. I, for one would love to see some of us riding about on horses, and I have been known to ride myself, but I do live in KY. They have riding trails too.

Wow - that would be great! I would love to bring one!

I wonder if the airline will let me bring her on the plane...

I can just see it now - Sunny sitting in a seat next to me asking the flight attendant to bring her another beer! :tankard:

My favorite horses? My three Mustangs, of course! And I would take a Lusitano (or an Andalusian) in a heartbeat. Love those Iberian breeds!

Rohtireth
Rosie_Cotton
  Posted on Sep 20 2007, 03:55 PM

Just Maggie...the Future Crazy Old Cat Hobbit!

Member No.: 5

Well, I do have to admit, I am rather fond of riding carousel horses! Those I can handle! :lol:

When I was a young Hobbit, I used to spend a few weeks each Summer on the farm my Dad grew up on, in SW Virginia. I used to spend a lot of the time hanging out in the cow pasture, keeping Maude, the old white plow-horse company. She was about a thousand years old, horribly swaybacked, and she was the most beautiful horse I ever saw.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0591 seconds · Archive