zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to A Game of Thrones RPG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

need some tips
Corrigan
Posted: Nov 29 2006, 03:24 PM

Commoner

Group: Members
Member No.: 134

Hi, I'm new to AGOT even if I have 2 decades of RPG behind me. I am preparing my brand new chronicle and I don't want to read the books all over again.
Here's the rough sketch. I created a House, on the Rills (I got rid of the Tyswell in the process), affiliated to the Starks. The hook lies in the fact that the last heir is in fact a Lannister. That will lead to the fact that this House could change side and will be torn apart right after Robert is back from hunting...

Here is my question: do you often use the major Characters such as Ned, Tyrion or some other in you plots. I mean do they have important roles? because to me, as they are supposed to be known by the players, it prevents any coup de théatre.
For instance, Jame and Cersei's affair won't have the same impact in a campaign as in the books.

Thank you for your advice or for all the problems you encountered when preparing your campaign!
Ronan
Posted: Nov 29 2006, 05:27 PM

Commoner

Member No.: 131

Good question. Personally, I tend to shy away from using major characters in my own plots/campaigns. I may add something with a lesser character (eg. Black Walder, Bronze Yohn Royce, Lyn Corbray, etc.) and then it won't mess too much with anything Martin himself has already laid down. I know there are people out there who like to create alternate plot points, but I like to try to stay true to the books.

I remember playing Star Wars D6 as a PC, and it just seemed like the lamest, most anti-climactic thing ever when my GM had Darth Vader show up on the landing pad I was trying to escape...Granted, the Star Wars Universe is a lot larger than ASOIAF, but I still think there's plenty of room in Martin's world to not have to have to resort to challenging Gregor Clegane to trial by combat.

Just my opinion,
Ronan

Luthan_Belmore
Posted: Nov 29 2006, 07:00 PM

Craftsman

Member No.: 132

Personally I thought it was the coolest when Darth would show up like that. What was lame was someone saying "just try it" or something to him. Noone punks Vader.
Corrigan
Posted: Nov 30 2006, 08:29 AM

Commoner

Member No.: 134

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to swim under the tons of sheets printed from Wikipedia and things are starting to shape up..
Tom Heim
Posted: Dec 3 2006, 06:01 PM

Craftsman

Member No.: 26

Most people on this board seem to lay their campaigns in a different era, just to evade that problem!
ceranko
Posted: May 14 2007, 10:08 PM

Craftsman

Member No.: 163

I had a campaign set 50 years before the conquest by the Targarens. They were still in Dragonstone at the time. But the campaign focused on The Bastard of the Aerie, Auric Bloodhawk, an incredible archer and Harrod Umber son of the brother of the Lord Umber. In this campaign the Boltons were actually pretty decent, two twins and a bad ass sister who was Aurics love intrest. Who were allies of the characters.The campaign started with Mercenaries known as the Sons of the Harpy from Ghis were raiding the north and capturing slaves. They were using a shadowbinder witch and were allied with pirates led by the Rape King, sending the captives back to the slave pits of Mereen. The characters went all over the north and the stormlands, and the aerie at this time the ironborn ruled the riverlands and the aerie was at war with them. There was alot of combat in this time period. And the Targarens were plotting with the Stormlords to defeat the riverlords to ease their eventual conquest. It was a great campaign, alot of npc's and roleplaying involved. Very little magic, but what was there was creepy. One of the best campaigns I've ever run. I make up all my own origional characters for npcs. It's creative and new and it gives me the chance to create some great color in the campaign.
ceranko
Posted: May 14 2007, 10:17 PM

Craftsman

Make up your own characters, and make them yours. It keeps players on their toes. What about having a Stark Lord that is really violent, and brutal who enjoys treks across the wall to rape wildling women and kill for sport? Even members of the knights watch don't want to be around him. Maybe the characters are wildlings fighting him, raiding south past the wall, or maybe they are Boltons sworn to kill him and wear his skin ! Or Umbers set on putting a rival family member on the throne.Or make them Ironborn raiders, fighting rival captains for primacy of the seastone chair. The world is incredible, there is alot of things you can do with it. This world has a huge historical past. Work with it !
ceranko
Posted: Jul 6 2011, 02:36 AM

Craftsman

I don't even use the current time in the books. I find placing the campaign in a different time gives the characters to be more of the center of the story than using current characters from the books. One campaign was during the reign of Maegor the cruel 45 after conquest and the other was 50 years before the conquest.
« Next Oldest | Campaign Chronicles | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2066 seconds | Archive